Sunday, October 12, 2008

Pink Pancakes (with beets)


I used canned shoestring cut beets, and let me forewarn you-I opened the can at 6:30am on an empty stomach and could not stand the smell! I thought how am I going to eat this! But they turned out really well! You could detect a slight flavor when they were hot off the pan but as they cooled the flavor went away! I bet serving them with raspberries would be delicious!

Pink Pancakes

3/4 cup water
1/2 cup ricotta cheese (I used low fat cottage cheese)
1/4 cup beet puree
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I added more)
1 cup pancake mix
1/4 cup grated apple (I chopped mine-which tasted great to me but Turner didn't like that chunks)

In a blender for food processor, combine the water, ricotta cheese, beet puree, vanilla & cinnamon & blend. Dump the mixture into a bowl & add pancake mix & apple until combined. Do not over mix-batter will be lumpy.

Cook as you would normal pancakes-until bubbles form on top- 1 to 2 minutes then flip. Serve with fruit or syrup.